Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Where Did the Time Go- Hannah 2 years and James 1 month

Everyone always says how kids grow so fast. And when they are young that is soo true and clear. They go through stages so quickly. The parts of the stage you don't particularly like you are consoled by the fact that the stage will probably end soon. And the parts of the stage you love can bring tears to your eyes when it is over. Then there are the parts you don't even notice until they are over. At the same time you look forward to the future stages.  It makes me not want to miss one second of their life. Having children has brought about the most mixed emotions in me. It is interesting to think that this is how God feels about us too.

So, Hannah turned two around the same time that James was one month old. I don't remember when Hannah grew up, but she really is not a baby anymore. I can talk to her and she really understands me. And she can talk back and I usually understand her. She loves life which for her is Mommy, Daddy, now James, and all the others who she knows love her. She enjoys the simple things- eating breakfast in the morning while watching her videos, walking around the house pushing her shopping cart, going to the playground, and licking her lolly pops. I learn a lot from her about how to enjoy life. She is a very special little girl and I can't believe that we have been privileged to be entrusted with her care.
Two goals for Hannah's next year:
1) Potty Training
2) Getting rid of the pacifier at night
(Neither of which I am looking forward to!)

I love my sweet baby James. And he is very sweet. He is such a flexible baby and I am starting to see a very determined nature as well. He holds his head up very well and he has already learned to turn over from tummy to back. He prefers to stand up rather than be held in a cradle hold. I do love the baby stage, but I am really looking forward to the stages to come and getting to know him as a little person better. I have often felt guilty that I do not hold him as much as I held Hannah. I have remedied that by carrying him around in the front carrier as often as he needs. He goes in it with us to the playground and the store and sometimes even around the house. He usually sleeps in it till I take him out. He is not old enough to play with yet, but we all look forward to that as well. Especially Hannah!
Two Goals for James' next month:
1) Sleeping longer stretches at night
2) Smiling
(Both of which I am looking forward to!)

Adjusting to life with two has been challenging at times. I think one of the hardest things is not being able to go out as easily. But I am starting to find little ways to “get out” during the day. The playgrounds within walking distance are working for now, while it’s not too cold yet. Hannah has started a gymnastics class which I participate in with her. My sister and I get together frequently which really helps! And we are starting to go to our playgroup again. Some days when we have no plans and I feel the need to get out I put them both in the car, and go to the drive through at McDonalds for a coffee, then maybe the bank or some other small errand to justify going outJ They both seem to enjoy the outing too. We always look forward to Daddy coming home at night. That is the biggest highlight of the day!
So, all is well in the Duncan house. And we are very happy!

2 comments:

  1. What a joy to hear about your life, and how two little people are growing! Thanks for posting!
    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious time in your life! I adore Hannah's costume!! She is getting SOO cute! We miss seeing her weekly, watching her grow up. I love how you "problem solved" by carrying James in a carrier. Aren't those things great?!

    ReplyDelete